Monday, March 2, 2015

Week 7: Indian Epic UnTextbook

I decided to look at one of the stories from Twenty Jataka Tales, retold by Noor Inayat Khan (1939).  The stories I read were "The Master's Test" and "The Quarrelsome Quails."

So I chose to review this book just because the titles of the stories  grabbed my attention as soon as I looked at the Indian Epics Resources page.  As soon as I linked to the Hathi Trust site, I noticed that the book was black text on a white page, which--in addition to the easy navigation of the site and the lack of need for log in--was a welcome surprise.

I really enjoyed reading "The Master's Test;" it was very short and simple, but had a clear message and an interesting little twist.  The writing style was nothing special, but it was easy to read and enjoyable.  All in all, a cute little story.

Meanwhile, I picked "The Quarrelsome Quails" story mainly for the fun alliteration in the title, haha.  For the story itself, I loved the image that opened up the tale, which was adorable and only further piqued my interest.  The writing style in this tale seemed a little more emotional, which further engaged me as I was reading.  Again, the short length of this story was nice, ensuring the plot stayed simple and un-confusing.  The lesson in the tale was also very clear, and all in all I truly enjoyed reading this story.

Therefore, yes, this would be a reading unit which I enjoyed reading--both the format of the site it was found on and the book itself were enjoyable, and the content in the book was clever and grabbed my interest!  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment