Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Week 8: Writing Review Week--Let Me Read You My Stories. . .


Where to begin. . . I don't really know what to think of my stories so far this semester, haha.  At the beginning of the semester I was composing a lot of stories in my normal style, just picking a character from the story and telling the story from their first-person perspective, sometimes twisting the tale slightly to give a slightly different view of the character.  A few weeks in I took on the task of writing a tale from the perspective of a parrot, which was definitely a bit of a challenge, though I was quite happy with the results.

These past couple of weeks, however, my stories have been. . . different, haha.  I have been doing a third person storytelling style that has a set cast of characters playing the parts available to them in the original story.  This results in quite a bit of technical changes, and gives very random results--as does the fact that I throw in miscellaneous references and inside jokes to appeal to some of my friends here at OUA who found my blog and decided to read my stories.  Caving to peer pressure. . . ah, me, haha.

My next challenge is to write a story with a decent amount of dialogue included to help in furthering the action--both a personal challenge, and a challenge issued through the advice of various peers.  In this and other matters, the feedback from students has been quite helpful and enlightening, and I cannot wait to try out some new styles and techniques as the semester progresses!

Arrivederci!!!


Image Information. Photo of girl reflected.  Found on Ria-perspective.blogspot.it.

5 comments:

  1. Jessica, I love that you try to use different styles and techniques in your writing for this class! I think that is so beneficial to your writing portfolio overall. Adding dialogue can make your story so much more lively and fun overall, and I think once you get the hang of it, it will be relatively easy to continue adding in your stories! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I like how you gave us some insight into how your writing has progressed throughout the semester, and that's pretty funny that your friends have found your blog and check it out (I'm hoping that nobody I know comes across mine). I wrote a couple stories with a little bit of dialogue. It's not too bad; it's actually kind of fun, so I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before reading this post about your thoughts on your writing, I hadn't really thought about my own personal writing style and, after thinking a little bit, I'm not really sure what it is. But I definitely sympathize with you when it comes to using dialogue in a story. I don't write a whole lot of dialogue and I could definitely work on making sure what little I do include advances the plot or is useful in some way. Thanks for the stuff to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you described your traditional way of re-telling stories reminded me of how I am styling my storybook for this class! I am glad you have stepped out of your comfort zone to try new writing styles. I know it can feel uncomfortable at times because you are trying to pave a new way for your brain to journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the way you explained your storytelling is basically how I've been doing mine too. I've been keeping them similar for the most part, but changing the ending or slight details that I think would be more appropriate. It's definitely weird writing so much, when in the past I've barely written at all. But it's good to experiment with different writing styles to find the one that you feel comfortable with or like better.

    ReplyDelete