Friday, January 16, 2015

Week 1: Storybook Favorites--Let the Inspiration Abound!

In my quest for inspiration for my upcoming Myth & Folklore Storybook, I came across three storybooks that I actually read in total because I was so intrigued and drawn in.  Also, probably because I'm still jet-lagged and writing this at like 1 am, this post may get a little rambling--just bear with me!


The first Storybook that really caught my eye was up near the top of the list:  The Kalevala As Interpreted by Dr. Seuss.  At first it caught my eye because who doesn't like Dr. Seuss?  Then, when I clicked the link to go to the homepage, the juxtaposed images of Dr. Seuss characters and some creepy creatures increased my interest.  And while the sight design is somewhat sparse and plain, the stories were just plain awesome!

Whoever wrote this storybook has a great grasp of rhyme and meter, and the way they were able to shorten the tales they told while keeping the essence of the characters and the stories is impressive.  The verse format worked perfectly, and the images aligned with the stories in such a way that they added to the experience of this storybook.  Now if only I could write short stories in rhyme, I would be set!






The second Storybook to draw me in was Flipped Scripts: History, Written by the Vanquished.  Anyone who was in Epics of India with me last semester will have realized by now that I love taking the perspectives of minor characters or "villains," and using their voice to turn stories on their head or at least to raise some doubts and questions not before thought of.  But the way that this storybook does so in such a serious and yet lighthearted way is truly fantastic.  With the two narrators, Puff and The Dude, they are able to mediate the stories and bring in some humor and relief when topics get deep.  Yet there is still a lot of truth to the variations/backstories presented here, and so I really enjoyed seeing someone else's method of twisting tales.


(screenshot of Flipped Scripts)




The third Storybook to grab my attention (though certainly not the last!) was Nursery Rhymes Gone Wrong.  These types of continuations of classic tales are fascinating, giving insight both on the rhymes and most definitely on the people who write them.  Enter the world of Little Betty Blue, who is friends with some nursery rhyme stars you know, and a couple you may not.  Quickly, you will lose your bearings as these characters turn dark or daring, as they lose their minds and their control.  A fascinating storybook, the author utilizes images and narration to further the detail of the stories and the characterizations of the protagonists.  Loved this book, the writing style, the stories, and definitely the fonts!  Maybe it's time I write a collection of horror stories. . .




Buonanotte!

1 comment:

  1. These are some seriously great storybook favorites. I didn't see the Nursery Rhymes Gone Wrong site, but I will definitely be checking that out. I agree with you, I love seeing a different perspective brought to a famous story. I think that something so simple, like a change in view, can really recreate and change a story. I also, love the title Flipped Script. It's such a catchy way to retell a story.

    ReplyDelete