Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Week 7: Reading Diary--Lots and Lots of Greed and Gold (Tibetan Folk Tales)

Let's continue reading the Tibetan Folk Tales unit, because I want to learn about the rabbit which killed the lion and the story of how the sacred duck got his yellow breast--doesn't that sound interesting?  Andiamo!

11. How the Rabbit Killed the Lion-  Once again loving the image at the top of this story.  Woah.  This starts out with a prediction of the apocalypse--melted mountains, burned trees, all animals dead, "sun so hot that the mountains all ran down level with the plains". . . That is some intense imagery.  Can you imagine having to get up and find a king every morning in order to bow/curtsy to him before starting your day?  Hard pass.  The Tibetans are a tricky folk, aren't they?  And with no qualms about lying, either.  I will really have to be careful what I say/do/believe if ever I meet a Tibetan.  Talk about a narcissistic end--jumping into a stream to attack your reflection because you want to prove that you are better than yourself.  Okay, maybe more egotistic and idiotic than narcissistic, but still.  You may have deserved to drown, oh proud lion king.

12. The Story of the Three Hunters- Anybody else just not understanding why you would get jealous over toasted bone marrow?  It just doesn't sound good to me. . .  Wow, and not just jealous, but jealous enough to kill.  That must be some supernaturally tasty marrow.  At least the sister got turned into a sparrow--there are worse fates, I guess.  Geez.  They just killed two of the wives.  Poor third wife, being spectator to all this carnage and then needing to attend to three husbands.  That is a harsh life, indeed.

13. How the Raven Saved the Hunter- Kill the raven and then go and investigate the causes of his actions.  That's fair.  It's not like you couldn't have spared his life since he saved yours and all.  All you had to do was figure out that the river was poisoned and came from the mouth of a snake.  Idiot.

14. The Golden Squash- Imagine how much different life (and folktales) would be if there was no concept of wealth.  Granted, that's not really possible, but just imagine. . .  I need to meet some of the animals from these stories.  Just give them a little aid and they make sure you are set for life; that's my kind of animal right there.  What?!  That was an unexpected and abrupt end.  Have good intentions or risk having a demon jump out from a squash and behead you--you are forewarned!!!

15. The Man with Five Friends with Different Colored Eyes-  If I was told that I couldn't tell my spouse any secrets until I had had 10 children that would just be dooming me to a life of lies and half-truths--who wants to have 10 kids?  Goodness.  Apparently I wouldn't be a good friend--you know, since my eyes are blue and not pitch black.  Life is rough.  Wouldn't his wife notice that he wasn't wearing any trousers (since they were on the pig)?  And last time I checked it would be pretty difficult to confuse a pig with a grown man.  So wait until you were almost executed and then tell the truth that you never killed anybody.  Solid plan.  (Then again, it did work, so I shouldn't really be criticizing you, should I?)http://mythfolklore.blogspot.it/2014/02/tibetan-folk-tales-man-with-five-friends.html

16. The Story of the Violinist-  Maybe it's just me, but a writer and an accountant are not the same thing, haha.  To say the violin is a beggar's trade--harsh, father dearest, harsh.  Wait a sec--so was one of the snakes the son of the devil?  Is that what this is?  And the fiddler is going to marry the daughter of the king of the netherworld?  Interesting. . .  I, too, feel the need to cover myself in chicken skin to cover my body; it's not at all a vain and ridiculous concept.  I love trying to predict what the random objects people take with them will play later on in the story.  For one, this girl is totally going to cover herself with fruit jam, feathers, and hair to disguise herself for some reason.  Makes sense to me.  Oooooh, so the lower kingdoms aren't lower as in lower, but as in down south of the other kingdoms?  Or no?   Hmmmm.  Basically this woman is clairvoyant, that's what I'm getting.  I seriously wish I had her skillz, lol.

17. How the Sacred Duck Got His Yellow Breast-  Clever froggy, playing the doppelganger trick--or should I say the trippelganger trick, haha.  (Forgive my terrible wordplay.)  So basically a duck decided he wanted some gold from a pot and smeared it on his chest 'cause what else are you going to do with gold if you're a duck?  Thus, the golden breast!

18. The Two Little Cats-  Who would drink tea without salt?!  What a crime that would be, especially for two little cats!  A Handre sounds like something I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, or anywhere else for that matter.  Apparently every animal loves cats and hates Handres, so that's a win for cuteness right there!  Because all of these actions make sense since the Handre is moving into the house and not necessarily after the cats at all.

[Now to be quick and brief for the last few.]

19. How the Wolf, the Fox, and the Rabbit Committed a Crime-  I would just keep the cymbal and the boots.  Who needs food and idols anyway?  Though what use a wolf has for a pair of boots I have no idea. . . And a bell scared the fox kits to death?!?!  Awwwwwww, nooooo!

20. A Rabbit Story-  Poor little bunny!  All alone without your mother, then seeing your mother all cooked up like that by the mean old mother bear!  You must be traumatized for life!  Though killing the bear's son is no way to retaliate.  Goodness, everyone is these stories is so violent.  And just tearing out the tiger's eyeballs like that?  *shudder*  That is one creepy bunny, possibly creepier than the Handre. . .

21. The Man and the Monkeys-  Garden of Eden reference. . . Interesting.  Yes, because all the while during your strength-building it's not like the man is drowning or anything.  No wonder he doesn't feel well after his "rescue."  Could you really just shake monkeys out of trees while they were sleeping and kill them?  (I mean, obviously you shouldn't morally, but could you logistically?)  The questions these stories make me ask myself. . .

Another week of reading diaries completed!  Woot woooot!  Ciao, folks!


Image Information. Rabbit in Field, photo by Dakota L., 2010.  Wikimedia.
Fulvous whistling duck, photo by Duncan Wright, 2006.  Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment